So, like I said last week, I would be writing a reaction to the PLL Finale. Well, here it is. First, if you haven’t yet seen it and don’t want spoilers, stop here, go watch, and then come back and read! If you’ve already seen it and agree with any of the points that I make in this post, tell me about it.
Right, if you haven’t seen it but don’t mind spoilers and stayed with me, let me give you a little recap. It started out in a little dream sequence that paid homage to all of the past seasons. I LOVED that part. As weird as it was, I think it kind of summarized the series and was pretty awesome. It then started out a year after it was revealed that Mona killed Charlotte and the game had ended. Ezria were getting married, Emison had adorable twin girls, Jenna works at Rosewood high-and apparently can smell a bitch anywhere-, Haleb were fighting like the true married couple, Melissa and Spencer had horses, and Toby looked like a caveman. Everything was right in Rosewood, except it wasn’t.
Mona was let out of Wellby (the new Radley, since Radley is now a hotel…) by a mysterious hooded figure, and she’s the Queen Creep she’s always been spying on the liars at the Lost Woods while wearing a Melissa mask. Later, it’s Ezria’s rehearsal dinner and the mom’s are drunk and awesome and Spencer is driving them home, going to meet Toby, and then going home and getting knocked unconscious by Mona. When she wakes up, she’s in some weird cell, and looking at herself in the mirror. Except, drum roll please, her mirror image drops her hand before she does, revealing that SPENCER HAS A TWIN!!!!!!! An evil, British one at that named Alex Drake, or A.D. Turns out, Spencer was born first, given to Peter Hastings before Alex was born, therefore no one knew there were two. Alex was shipped off to London to live with a wealthy family, but she started to go cookoo and was left at an orphanage.
Alex, who took the name Drake back, escaped from the orphange and had a rough life, before she runs into Wren while bartending one night. Wren calls her Spencer, confusion ensues, and then Alex learns she has a twin who grew up in a happy home. Wren introduces Alex to Charlotte, explains that they are sisters, and when Charlotte dies, Alex loses the only family she had and wants revenge. Wren takes her to Rosewood, she impersonates Spencer a couple of times (airport, Spoby goodbye kiss, Hanna in the barn, etc.) and learns she really wants Spencer’s life, specifically Toby. So she kidnaps Spencer-and Ezra for that matter just because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time- and locks them away with Mary underground. Ezra is gone, the wedding is postponed and Alex is just living her life as Spencer for a few hours, before she runs into Jenna, who is the first one to put two and two together, by SMELLING her nonetheless.
Jenna thinks she doesn’t smell like herself, tells Toby what she thinks is happening, and they all go on a rescue mission led by Mona because she knows where they are. Spencer and Ezra almost make it out-of the lair of all lairs, it was A.D’s doll house, Hastings yard and house edition-before Alex bludgeons Ezra, and tries to kill Spencer so she can take over her life. The liars find them, figure out who’s who by poetry-go figure right?- and Mona called 911, Mary and Alex being arrested.
Ezria get married, Hanna is pregnant, and it turns out Mona’s “cop” was just her French boyfriend, and they smuggled Alex and Mary out of the country to go be Mona’s personal Dolls in Paris under her doll shop.
So there, that’s my not so little summary. It was quite a confusing episode, and there were definitely parts that I did not like, but overall I loved it. So, I’ll do a little Loved and Hated list for it.
- Ezria happily ever after-Aria looked beautiful in her dress and who doesn’t love Mr. Fitz?
- Haleb- everything about them has always been perfect, even when they are fighting.
- The Emison twins were ADORABLE!
- Ali’s proposal to Emily was the sweetest and most perfect thing ever.
- WINE-O MOMS!
- Twincer reveal-that was one of the coolest shots, with Alex pretending to be Spencer’s mirror image.
- Everything about Alex-she was bold, she was brash, she was a complete psychopath!!
- Troian Bellisario- She is an INCREDIBLE actress, and it really showed.
- BAD ASS BITCH JENNA!!!-She literally figured out it wasn’t Spencer by smelling her!
- Bashful the horse-he was like what the f**k you do with my Spencer?!
- Epic twin vs. twin-ness
- THAT GOODBYE SCENE THOUGH!?!?!- all the feels came out, I was bawling like a baby
- MONA. IS. QUEEN!!!!!-She finally got her happy ending
- Everything to do with Mary-that character was rubbish
- Lack of Melissa Hastings
- WREN IS DEAD?!?!?!
- Twincer- I loved Alex’s character, her backstory was brilliant, but I did not like the fact that they literally just took the character of Courtney in the books, her motives included, and gave Spencer the twin instead of Ali. How original I.Marlene.
- Useless Toby-I never liked him, and it took Jenna telling him that the girl he’s been sleeping with isn’t really Spencer for him to figure it out, come on..?
- Lack of Lucas’ storyline-why was he so creepy?
- WREN IS DEAD?!?!?!-and also, how did he die? (yes I know this is on here twice, but have you seen Julian Morris?)
- Aria can’t have kids-that was an unnecessary evil inflicted upon her for an Ezra storyline.
- Second generation liars-No. Just, no.
All-in-all the finale was very good. It had it’s faults sure, but I think it was a perfect ending to a series that kept on giving for 7 seasons. The characters were girls that everyone could look up to, and the fact that so many people watched it from start to finish is telling of how amazing the show itself was. I applaud the cast and crew for making and portraying such versatile and strong woman that young girls can use as role models.
My Tuesday’s will never be the same. Thank you, Pretty Little Liars, for a brilliant 7 years.